On the outside, I seem like I have it all together... well, most of the time. To be honest, I don't feel very patient even though my husband came home the other night and commended me on my patience. It's something that I'm continually praying for. I need patience to deal with all sorts of situations that come up. Right now, my biggest struggle is being patient with Caleb. I love that little boy to death, but he definitely tests my patience on a daily basis. He has his occasional tantrums and smart alack remarks. Sometimes, I just have to examine what exactly is coming out of my own mouth because Caleb is probably mirroring my words and actions. Am I setting a good example for him? Could I be setting a better one for him?
My prayer today and every day is for the patience that will endure and help me to be a better mom and wife. I pray for Tim who is also in need of patience. We both have a tendency to react first rather than taking a moment to reflect, think about it, and then react. This is especially true with Caleb. He'll say or do something that is not appropriate or he just won't listen. Instead of counting to 10 so that we can speak calmly with him, we shout, "No!" or "Don't do that!" or "Aren't you listening?" or "Fine, I don't care anymore." or "Go to your room!" I know there are times when I will need to raise my voice or be stern, but I don't really want to be the mom that is constantly yelling while raising my kids. Don't worry... we don't yell that often. It just feels like we've been doing it more than I'd like since Sonya has been born.
Lord, I thank you so much for the beautiful children that you have blessed us with. I ask that you guide Tim and I to be more patient with each other and with our children. We aren't perfect parents and will probably make lots more mistakes than we've already made. Thank you for your grace and continual patience with us as we learn from our wrongs. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment