I didn't think to add running to my list, but it's been something that I've been wanting to do more often. When I first ran earlier in the summer, I was only able to make it 3/4 of a mile and I was completely spent. I don't know if my breathing was off or what, but I didn't have the same sort of satisfaction that I had last night.
Since the weather was absolutely perfect -- nice and cool, I felt motivated to take a run. So I changed into some running clothes and got my shoes on before I changed my mind. If I'm in running mode, I just have to go otherwise I'll procrastinate and never get around to doing it. Well, I did a few warm-up stretches -- lunges, the grapevine, high knees, etc... then did a brisk walk around the block. Then, I ran. My beginning pace was a little too fast. There was no way I'd be able to keep that up if I wanted to get up to a mile. Once I had my breathing figured out, the run was quite enjoyable. It was the first time in a while where my lungs didn't feel like they were burning and my side wasn't aching.
I just kept winding around the streets near our house, not sure how far I'd make it and didn't want to be too far from home if for some reason I had to just walk back. I started at the corner of W. Theis and Benjamin and went north on Benjamin until I hit Beutel. Then I proceeded to go west on Beutel all the way until Holden. I headed back towards TJ and just kept on going until Whitefish. Then I took a left onto Webster, a right on Monroe, and ran back up to Benjamin where I sprinted the last stretch on James back to the house. I felt good. It took me a little bit to catch my breath so I walked around a bit and did a cool down.
After I got inside, I immediately went to the computer to check how far I went. I was amazed that it was 1.5 miles and couldn't believe that I did it!! I was aiming to do just a little over a mile and surpassed my individual goal. When I left the house, it was around 8:15 -- I had walked past Lincoln on W. Theis as my warm-up, but then didn't check my watch to see what time it was when I actually started running. Then I got home around 8:33. I don't have a digital watch and didn't have my phone with me to use the stopwatch so I was guesstimating on the times (plus it was dark out). I'm thinking I averaged a 9 minute mile.
Considering I only ran one other time this summer and haven't run more than 1/2 a mile since college, I was very happy with myself. Even though I was the only one running, I felt like I won the race. :-) I realized that I'm capable of ANYTHING! I just have to go out there and do it.
Today, I'm a little sore. I could actually feel it last night already, but I'm not going to complain. It's the kind of soreness that just feels good. Now the question is: When will Michelle run next and how far will she go?
great job!!! I should start running too :)
ReplyDelete