Thursday, October 20, 2011

Aprender Inglés

Today, I started tutoring a girl in Caleb's class. I was a little excited and nervous to use some of my Spanish skills again. This girl came from Mexico and doesn't really know English. I can't imagine being placed in a classroom of kindergartners and not being able to speak the same language as them.

My goal is to come up with fun ways to teach the different kindgergarten conceptsso she can understand them in English and mark her progress along the way. I found a great website: http://www.esl-kids.com/index.html that has flashcards, games, songs, worksheets, and other links for teaching ESL. So pumped!

Our first day went pretty well. We worked on recognition and naming of letters and numbers. We reviewed colors and attempted naming the shapes. I have my work cut out for me. B can sing the alphabet, but cannot recognize the letter shapes to be able to tell me what they are. The same with numbers. She can count, but wasn't able to point to a number and tell me what it was called. I'm up for the challenge!

We're going to try and meet once a week for 30 minutes while friends watch Sonya. It's not much time to teach, but kindergartners have short attention spans so we wouldn't have been able to accomplish much more if we tried going longer. I'm hoping to figure out a way that I can tutor B after school or something so that I don't have to try and find people to watch Sonya for me. Then Caleb can kind of help with tutoring too!

Well, that's all for now. This next week is a short week for school so we're not tutoring at all. Praying that our next session goes well!


No comments:

Post a Comment