Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A season of JOY!

Christmas -- the season of giving. Yes, the time is getting nearer and I have yet to even start shopping.

I was paging through a Shopko ad today and saw a few things that would be nice to have, but I just don't really need anything. I'm completely content with what I have and would rather see the look of joy on the faces of others. That's my favorite part of Christmas -- next to celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior.

When I asked Caleb what he wanted for Christmas a few weeks ago, he replied with, "nothing." I actually had to give him a few ideas and almost encourage him to be greedy and materialistic. What's wrong with me? If my kid is fine with a few cardboard boxes and a roll of tape, I should be fine with that too. For some reason, the world pulls me in and makes me feel out of place because my child doesn't want the latest toys and gadgets out there. He's content like I am. I guess that's something to be proud of.

I am proud of him. Extremely!

A simple smile on my 5-year old's face says it all when I see him giving his toys to friends without asking for anything in return. Yes, he even gave away one of his most precious toys, a Buzz Lightyear doll. He had two of them and even played with both, but he was willing to part with the smaller one just because he thought his friend might like it. It was so sweet! His generous attitude is something that even I can learn from. 

We are so blessed and have way more than we could ever need. Thank you, Father! I pray that we can have servant hearts during the Christmas season and give with JOY. We have clothes on our backs, beds to sleep in, a house to live in, and plenty of food to eat. There are others that our less fortunate. Let's give to those that really need it.

The season of Joy -- a time to share what's most important with my family -- a time of thanksgiving -- a time of laughter -- a time of LOVE

Rejoice!


No comments:

Post a Comment