I hate being sick. I know... throw a pity party and get over it. I've felt so pathetic and tired lately. I get winded just going up and down our stairs to the basement. I've been sitting on the couch and resting a LOT. I kind of felt like I was being a bad mom when I just let Sonya watch TV and play by herself the past few days while I didn't get anything done around the house. Poor Tim was left to deal with the kids on Monday night when I felt the worst. Then I found out that he wasn't feeling the greatest either -- this was after he had cleaned up a few things and let me take a short nap after dinner. Granted, I think I was in worse shape with my coughing and shortness of breath, but he was still a saint or a knight in shining armor to me. I love that guy. :-)
While I was sitting around yesterday, feeling kind of bummed about being sick and not taking care of things very well, I got a phone call from a friend who was selling Girl Scout cookies for her daughter. She reminded me that I'm still a good mom and that it's ok to take it easy and rest so I can get better. It doesn't really help my family if I don't get better. Anyway, I really appreciated her saying that. I definitely needed it!
I remember the days when I was working. I rarely took a sick day. I'd wait until I was about run into the ground and could barely walk when I'd finally give in and go to a doctor. Even then, I only took one day off instead of the two or three that I really needed to recuperate with. I was insane. Who else would go to work with pneumonia or bronchitis on top of a sinus infection and ear infection? Yeah... that was me. I thought I was superwoman. But really, I wasn't doing anyone a favor. I'm getting wiser in my "older" age and have learned that I can't do it all.
Even though my lungs were still feeling tight today, I ventured out in the snow with the kids to go to my marriage study this morning. I should mention that I did go to the doctor yesterday morning and I just have a virus so they didn't put me on an antibiotic, unfortunately. At least I'm on prednisone though, a steroid to help with the inflammation of my lungs so hopefully in addition with my inhalers, I might be able to breathe better in the next few days. Anyway, Caleb had a day off from school so the next kindergarten class could do orientation today. I figured if I was just sitting in a chair at the study and someone else was watching my kids, it was probably about the same as if I would've stayed home and sat on the couch while we watched TV or something -- which I ended up doing after lunch by the way. The study was definitely worth going to. I'll probably try and post about it in another blog entry. Maybe tomorrow.
Gotta go and bathe the kids. Sonya spilled milk all over her hair and face this afternoon. It was pretty funny, but she wasn't too happy about that. Oops! I'm sure Caleb was sweaty last night while at wrestling practice. Ugh... baths are definitely overdue. Tim did some shoveling earlier and is out doing some grocery shopping for me so I think having to do dishes and bathe kids isn't too bad. :-) Adios for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment