I've been LOVING this study since we started this fall. We've covered a lot of different topics and used quite a few different resources -- Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage, Love & Respect, Sacred Marriage, The 5 Love Languages, and more. I've learned so much from the group of women that I've been meeting with and cannot even put into words how much they have blessed me.
This last study was based on the book "Sacred Marriage." Did God create marriage to make us holy or to make us happy? That's the basic question. I had actually started reading this book last year and have two posts that I wrote about it, so I might be repeating myself as I haven't had time to go back and reread through them again. Anyway, I came across a revelation yesterday. God created man and He also created marriage so it only makes sense that if it came from God, it's a way to bring glory to Him. So through marriage, we should ultimately become more holy.
I was thinking about how marriage really brings us closer to God -- well, that is if you believe His teachings on unconditional love, respect, and forgiveness. Those three things will make or break a marriage. We're not all going to have those fuzzy, happy feelings for our spouse. How many of you can say that I've been happy every single moment of my marriage? If you raised your hand, I hate to break it to you, but you're probably dreaming or you're just sitting on a landmine. Happiness is definitely something that God can bring. I believe that wholeheartedly. Back to the question though.... was that the reason that God created marriage? I don't believe so.
In the "Love Dare" book, it talks about the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit living in communion of each other as one. God created marriage as a way for a man and woman to experience a kind of holiness that only becoming "one flesh" can do. As a married woman, I can say that I've prayed more as a wife and mother than I ever did when I was single. Marriage shows a lot more of your flaws and sinful nature. It makes it more difficult to have that unconditional love, respect, and forgiveness for each other (probably because we have to give more of it! haha!). Without God being a part of my marriage, I don't know if I'd be as happy as I am today. I've been so blessed with a wonderful husband and a beautiful family.
I'm probably rambling so I apologize. Sometimes my thoughts just get so jumbled and I need to get them out on paper before I forget them. Overall, I just want to express that the marriage study that we're doing is something that all women (even men) should do. It'll enrich your relationships -- not only with just your spouse, but with your children, other relatives, and friends. I've grown closer to the women in my smaller prayer group and appreciate the prayers that we share with each other. The stories they tell are encouraging and so is being surrounded by a group of Godly women.
No comments:
Post a Comment