Sunday, September 11, 2011

Teaching Sunday School

For some reason, the Lord put it on Tim and my hearts to teach Sunday School for the 4th-6th grade again. Last year we were just fill-ins and now we're "in charge." It's going to be a challenge, that's for sure. But... the blessings will be that much greater! I can't wait to develop relationships with these kids and watch them grow in their faith. Today was good. We talked about worshiping God and how all of humanity is called to worship Him. Our passage was in Romans 1 where Paul is saying how he's not ashamed of the gospel because it proclaims how we can be SAVED! He addresses the Romans telling them that in all things, we can see God, yet the foolish will worship the beautiful things He has made while the wise will worship their Creator. It's an awesome message. I was even able to share my testimony. The kids actually sat quiet and listened without interruption. I was surprised to capture their attention so well. haha...

(Oh, and Tim used an analogy about a really great sandwich that unfortunately has a few specks of mold on one of the pieces of bread. If we had a choice to eat the sandwich as is, we'd probably toss it. Otherwise, the other option is to cut out that tiny little chuck of bread and enjoy our sandwich anyway. It's just like God sent Jesus down for us to wipe away our sin or remove that bit of mold from our lives so that we can still be a part of God's life without being thrown in the trash. Hope that makes sense. I thought it was kind of clever. Tim is so good at coming up with weird stuff like that... lol. I'm so glad we work together!) -- UPDATE: Ok, I lied... well, not really. I thought Tim came up with it all on his own only to find out he found it on google. *sigh* so disappointing...lol

Throughout this year, I'd really like to teach the kids to dig into the Bible and try to understand it on their own. Obviously, Tim and I will be there to help move things along. But, I just want to develop in them a sense of wonder and awe of God's Word. I want them to grow and learn more about why they believe the things they do. I want to prepare them for the world that is filled with hypocrisy and judgement. I want them to be able to defend their faith if they're ever in a situation where someone is trying to convince them that they're wrong. I want to see a strong, solid foundation that they and others can continue to build off of. They're our future! God has so many wonderful things in store for them. I'm hoping they will practice their faith in their daily lives and share it openly without being ashamed of the Good News.

I might be setting high goals for myself, but I know that through prayer and the help of God, we can mold these young minds into an army for the Lord. I just pray that I can stay strong and not get discouraged. There will be times when the kids won't listen or just won't understand. I pray that God will speak through Tim and I and guide our words and actions. I pray that I'm more diligent in my daily reading and that I can do better to be an example not only for my students, but for other adults and my own children. God is so good and I just want to be on FIRE for Him and just have His light shine down.

Lord, help me to share my excitement and enthusiasm with these kids. Let me be a beacon of your love. Give me patience beyond what I need. Help me to show them what it is to be a child of God. Thank you so much for this opportunity to work with this age group. It is going to be a great way to grow closer to You and to just continue growing in my own walk with You.

Your loving daughter,
Michelle


1 comment: